Community Visitor Scheme
What is the Community Visitor Scheme?
The Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) is an initiative of the Department of Health. It aims to address loneliness and isolation among Home Care Packaged recipients and Residential Aged Care recipients. Volunteer visitors will meet with recipients on an ongoing basis to provide low-intensity and non-specialised companionship.
The CVS is extremely important as the Australian population ages. Many older Australian’s are living longer and in many cases become socially and, or physically isolated because of their geographic location or their family circumstance.
Volunteer to be a Community Visitor
What is required?
- Sit down with the recipient, listen and discuss their interests and hobbies.
- Weekly visits, just one hour a week.
- Police checks and induction included and compulsory.
- Your interests, experience or studies can be matched with a recipient who shares similar.
- Reporting on all outcomes is essential.
- Providing exceptional service, respect, kindness and caring is required.
- Personal assistance of the recipient is NOT required or permitted. This includes cleaning, personal care, nursing and so on.